examination. If there is no physical disability, you can teach
some simple skills of toilet training to the mother, like:
- Avoid giving water to the child after late evening.
- Encourage the child to pass urine just before going to
- Do not shout at the child and help him gradually to adopt
regular toilet habits. Be casual about it. Make his day
happy and relaxed.
- Whenever he has not wet his bed, reward him with a sweet
or something or appreciate him. Dry bed in itself is an
- A quiet period before bed time and warm bed room is advised.
- Make him feel responsible to stop this habit.
- When he wets he may be asked to mop the floor and change
his clothes, not as a punishment but as a way in which he
There may be several reasons for this like too strict training,
jealousy about brother or sister, tension about first days
of school, insecurity and so on.
If a child has the problem of stammering, you can tell the
family members to be more affectionate and understanding towards
him. They should avoid making fun of him as far as possible.
This increases his sense of security and he gains more confidence.
Gradually he would improve. The parents and other family members
should speak to him slowly which would help him to improve
7. Child Neglect
A child requires attention from parents and family members,
for a good psychosocial development:
- Parents and family members should be affectionate to
- Physical closeness like hugging the child is important.
- Some one in the family should stimulate the child by
playing with him, telling stories and so on.
- Avoid beating, the child. At the same time don't encourage
temper tantrums. The child should have proper discipline.